The 2014 edition of the MTV Europe Music Awards happened on 9 November 2014 (10 November 2014, 5.00 am in SG) in Glasgow.
Honestly, I do kinda dislike it that the MTV EMAs always happens at such an unearthly hour for Asia. When I was still schooling, I’d actually try to wake up and catch the last few parts of the show live. If my favourite boyband or artist was on, I definitely woke up for sure. Nowadays, it’ll be lucky if I even woke up at 6.00 am. Hahaha. #signofaging
Anyway, the MTV EMA was a hoot as usual. I always like how the MTV EMA isn’t as politically correct as the American counterpart version, VMA. Kekeke. The number of times the host of the night, Nicki Minaj said “fuck”. LOL. It would have been completely unacceptable and bleeped off on the VMA.
I actually kinda like Nicki Minaj now. I couldn’t stand her when she first came on the scene with her neon wigs and pink-ness to be honest. This Nicki Minaj is so much better despite her potty mouth.
And while I really liked Nicki Minaj’s performance and especially her new song “Bed of Lies” featuring Skylar Grey, one of the biggest highlight of the MTV EMA has got to be Nicki MInaj’s boobs.
Did you see how her boobs always looked like they were going to explode/spill out of her dress? I was actually half-waiting for a wardrobe malfunction to happen. LOL.
Speaking of wardrobe malfunction, Charli XCX was in a cleavage baring skin-tight catsuit as she performed “Boom Clap” and “Break The Rules”. The photo above when during “Break The Rules” but before that, during “Boom Clap” she was literally walking around with her headlights on. It must have been really cold in Glasgow.
I like “Boom Clap” but the live version is always somewhat a bit disappointing compared to the album version. Or is it just me?
I have no idea who exactly Royal Blood are but I like their performance and their song “Figure It Out”. I’m definitely YouTubing them.
U2 took to the stage to perform a stripped down version of “Every Breaking Wave” from the album “Songs of Innocence” which they gave away for free via iTunes.
There was a sombre feel to their performance and while I’ve never really liked most of U2’s music (it’s just not my style), I actually did like this performance of “Every Breaking Wave”. There was just something really beautiful in the sadness of the performance.
As with Ed Sheeran. This guy’s music is generally soppy but there’s also something very beautiful about his rendition of this chart-topper track “Thinking Out Loud”.
These are the highlights of the 2014 MTV EMA for me and here is the full list of the 2014 MTV EMA Winners:
- Best Song Ariana Grande Problem ft Iggy Azalea
- Best Pop One Direction
- Best Female Ariana Grande
- Best Male Justin Bieber
- Best Live One Direction
- Best New 5 Seconds of Summer
- Best Video Katy Perry Dark Horse ft Juicy J
- Best Rock Linkin Park
- Best Alternative Thirty Seconds To Mars
- Best Hip Hop Nicki Minaj
- Best Electronic Calvin Harris
- Biggest Fans One Direction
- Best Look Katy Perry
- Best PUSH 5 Seconds of Summer
- Best World Stage Enrique Iglesias MTV World Stage Isle of MTV Malta
- Worldwide Act Bibi Zhou
- Best Song with a Message Beyoncé Pretty Hurts
- Global Icon Ozzy Osbourne
If you have missed the MTV EMA, you can catch the replays on MTV Asia at the following timings:
- Saturday, 15 November at 12pm (WIB), 1pm (SG/PH), 2pm (MY)
- Tuesday, 11 November at 10pm (WIB), 11pm (SG/PH)
- Wednesday, 12 November at 2pm (WIB), 3pm (SG/PH), 12am and 4pm (MY)
- Thursday, 13 November at 5.30pm (WIB), 6.30pm (SG/PH), 7.30pm (MY)
- Saturday, 15 November at 1pm (WIB), 2pm (SG/PH), 3pm (MY)
- Sunday, 16 November at 5pm (WIB), 6pm (SG/PH), 7pm (MY)
Thailand (Pre Show followed by Main Show)
- Tuesday, 11 November at 1pm
- Wednesday, 12 November at 9pm
- Thursday, 13 November at 5pm
- Friday, 14 November at 8pm
- Saturday, 15 November at 12.30pm
- Sunday, 16 November at 10pm
Bring on 2015 MTV EMA in Milano!!
PS: Congratulations to Bibi Zhou (China) for winning the Best Worldwide Act!!