WOW. Honestly, the Mnet Asian Music Awards 2011 blew me away!
Firstly, the stage looks freaking awesome! Having been to the Singapore Indoor Stadium for countless number of concerts and a couple of award shows, I know how small the whole venue is compared to venues in other countries like the O2 Arena in London and Impact Arena in Bangkok.
The fact that the stage is 2 stories, has a huge extension into the crowd and a massive structure that went all the way up to the ceiling, it made the stadium looked humongous! No kidding!
They brought in the full works, including the pyrotechnics, confetti and the moveable stage bits. I was completely floored by the whole production. Well done to everyone involved!
From this event, I learnt that Singapore Indoor Stadium can be an amazing venue. We just lack the money or the creativity or just both.
Also, initially, I was thinking that a 4 hour award show would be quite draggy but time actually passed by pretty quickly. I actually enjoyed myself a lot despite not knowing many Korean artists. (Of coz you all know that I’m watching MAMA 2011 only because of Super Junior.) I now also realised that Oh Ji On is super hot! 😉
I’m also quite impressed with the broadcasting team, I’m not sure if it was done by the Korean Mnet team or the Mediacorp team or a mixture. They managed to bleep out every single damn swear word in Will.I.Am, Snoop Dogg and Dr Dre’s performance. They didn’t even miss a beat! Kudos!
Finally, congratulations to all the winners tonight.
Super Junior was the biggest winner of the night of coz, they’re bringing home 3 awards: Singapore’s Favourite Korean Artist, Best Male Group and Album of the Year.
SNSD/Girls’ Generation took home 2: Best Female Group and Artist of the Year.
2NE1 also took home 2 awards: Song of the Year for “I am The Best” and Best Vocal Performance (Group). They were really fantastic live during their performance!
Leessang took home 2 awards: Best Male Singer (Solo) and Best Rap Performance for “Turned Off The TV…”.
Baek Ji Young took home 2 awards as well: Best OST for Secret Garden (That Woman) and Best Female Singer (Solo).
Here are the rest of the winners:
- Best New Male Artist Award: Huh Gak
- Best New Female Artist Award: A Pink
- Best Dance Performance – Solo: HyunA – Bubble Pop!
- Best Dance Performance – Male Group: B2ST – “Fiction”
- Best Dance Performance – Female Group: miss A – “Goodbye Baby”
- Best Vocal Performance – Solo: IU – “Good Day”
- Best Band Performance: CNBlue – “Intuition” (YAAAYYYY!!!)
- Best Music Video: Big Bang – “Love Song”
- Best Artist (China): Jane Zhang
- Hottest Asian Artist: Koda Kumi
- Best Asian Artist: Aziatix
- Best Asian Artist (Solo): Wei Chen
- Best Style in Music: Seo In Young
- Mnet Special Award: YB